Monday, June 15, 2015

Blogging The Bach'ette: Is The Season Spoiled?

Warning: this post contains possible spoilers.

When I decided to watch this season of The Bachelorette in an unspoiled state, I wasn't sure I could make it through the whole show without cheating, i.e., checking out the scoop on realitysteve.com. Somewhat to my surprise, I've made it this far and I don't really miss knowing the outcome in advance. Although I've seen a couple of spoilers inadvertently, I'm fairly sure that I don't know the actual outcome.

I saw the first potential spoiler early on, after the first episode aired, when I was reading the comments on Jillian Anderson's Instagram and someone claimed to know the ending, specifically that Kaitlyn didn't choose anyone. I took that with a grain of salt, because even if she didn't fall madly in love with any of her suitors, the producers, a.k.a. her employers, would probably insist that that show end with an engagement. As we've seen with Chris Soules, Andi Dorfman and so many others, it really isn't a lifetime commitment. You just have to play nicely together in public for a few months then you can go your separate ways.



The second spoiler is more specific and was all over social media this week-end. Apparently Kaitlyn posted a very intimate picture of Shawn B on Snapchat, which created the perception, at least in some minds, that he was the winner. She deleted the picture almost immediately but the damage was done. Is Kaitlyn engaged to Shawn? Thoughts:

Shawn got the First Impression Rose, so she has liked him from the start. On the other hand, the FIR recipient almost never goes the distance and in fact that first rose is sometimes seen as a bit of a curse. (Right, Britt?)

The picture could have been taken during the show, possibly in the Fantasy Suite. Or maybe Shawn is the man she admits to having sex with. It doesn't necessarily prove that they're together now.

Is it a set-up? A misdirection? A prank or a publicity stunt to get people talking and generate interest in the show? Could be. I think there's almost no chance that any Bach or Bach'ette would truly post something like that by mistake, while the show is airing. There's too much at stake in keeping the outcome secret, at least officially.

Hang in there, rosebuds! We're only halfway through the season and there's lots of trauma and drama to come! Episode five starts in two hours!

No comments: