Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Royal Ascot

Saturday morning update: Who got to ride with the Queen on Day 4
and Day 5? I don't know, I've never heard of most of these people.

Friday, Day 4:


Thursday morning update: Here's the carriage lineup for day 3:


Wednesday morning update: Okay, I guess I'm a little more interested in Ascot than I thought. Not the horse racing so much as the royal carriages and who's riding in them. The Ascot account on Twitter is very kindly keeping me informed; here's today's lineup:


It's being reported that the Queen's husband, Prince Philip, is hospitalized this morning, resulting in an open seat in the Queen's carriage. Charles and Camilla have been promoted to Carriage #1, which may have been planned all along, accompanied by Lord Fellowes, Diana's brother-in-law, who was in Carriage #4 yesterday with his wife Jane. Will and Kate get the day off and Lord Vestey is bumped to Carriage 4. I have no idea if there's any real significance to any of this, and other than Princess Alexandra, I have no idea who the people in Carriages 3 and 4 are. Who will ride with the Queen tomorrow? As long as Ascot keeps tweeting, I'll keep updating this post.

Original post:
For the most part, Royal Ascot is one of those things I don't care about. I saw a tweet this morning, however, that caught my eye:
The various royals riding in Carriages 1, 2 and 3 are the usual suspects (except for Lord Vestey, I'm not sure who he is,) but Carriage 4 was a bit of a surprise. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips are Princess Anne's son and daughter-in-law, and Lord and Lady Fellowes are Princess Diana's sister and her husband. Interesting. (In an "if you care about such things" kind of way.)   

No comments: