Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Chip and Joanna Gaines, Again

Issue dated July 3, 2017: Chip & Joanna Gaines


This is the second cover featuring Chip and Joanna in seven months, a story I didn't foresee. When their first cover came out, in an issue dated 10/24/16, and titled "Chip & Joanna Gaines: Family, Faith and Sudden Fame," I titled my People Cover post "Chip & Joanna Gaines (Who?)" and I still feel that way. Are these people really that famous?

Divorcing HGTV stars Tarek & Christina El Moussa have been featured twice recently as well, first as the main cover story on the issue dated December 26, 2016 then again ten weeks later on the March 6, 2017 cover. (See those covers here.) The April 10, 2017 issue featured the Property Brothers. What is it with all these HGTV cover stories? They must sell well or People wouldn't keep running them.

My best guess had been that Beyonce's twins would be the main story this week and they do get a topline tease. So far the Carters haven't issued any kind of official announcement, not even the sex of the babies or their names, and there are no pictures, which is probably why they're not the main story. I've been expecting a few Diana stories as we get closer to the 20th anniversary of her death on August 31; I assume these "secret tapes" are part of an updated edition of Andrew Morton's book " Diana: Her True Story."

No comments: