Monday, May 5, 2014

Waiting For Schadenfreude

For those who care about such things, there will be a lot of excitement in Kardashian-land over the next couple of weeks. The rumor is that "Kimye" will have their big wedding in Paris on May 24 and K-watchers want to know: Will it be over-the-top? Will there be wretched excess? Will everything be just plain tacky? Almost certainly to all of the above. It's also possible that there will be a slight "going through the motions" aura to the whole thing, because Kim and Kanye may have made it legal this week in California, presumably because of residency or other legal requirements that make it pretty complicated for Americans to actually get married in France.

Whatever. As Kim gets ready to marry husband #3, I thought it would be fun to look back on the publicity-stunt-gone-wrong that marriage #2 turned out to be, as seen through the filter of People magazine covers. The entire thing took place over the course of one year: The "I thought I'd be married by now" issue is dated November 30, 2010; she dated, got engaged to, married and separated from Kris Humphries by November 2011.

November 30, 2010
Kim Kardashian: I'm Ready For Love

June 6, 2011
Kim Kardashian Engaged! A Dream Come True

September 5, 2011
Kim's Storybook Wedding

November 7, 2011
Kim & Kris: From 'I Do' to Divorce

As annoying as I find the whole Kardashian saga to be, I sheepishly admit that I'm keeping an eye on Kimye, in a waiting-for-schadenfreude kind of way. People and the other tabloids will keep us informed.

No comments: