Thursday, March 6, 2014

Do You Remember The Venus Butterfly?

Fans of the 1980s-era TV show LA Law have been wondering for years why it hadn't been released on DVD and apparently the wait is over, at least for season 1. According to CNN, the first season is now out on DVD with season 2 to follow in a few months, and as a fan of the show, I'm rejoicing, even as I count on my fingers to determine that it's been 28 years (yikes) since the show premiered in 1986.

I know I sound like someone's grandmother when I say this, but the world was so different then. It's almost hard to remember how anything got done with no PC's, no cell phones, much less smart phones, no internet, no Facebook/no Twitter, etc. I have a feeling life in 1986 is going to seem not just old-fashioned but downright primitive. I can't remember from watching the first time around if anyone ever goes to a pay phone and puts in a dime to make a phone call but it wouldn't surprise me. Do the legal secretaries hand messages to their bosses on those little pink message sheets? Will we see someone give a presentation with actual slides or an overhead projector? The mind reels and I haven't even mentioned the over-the-top make-up, hair and dress-for-success fashion. The show was fun to watch in real time back in the late 80s and it's going to be a true blast-from-the-past time capsule to watch now. I can't wait!

The CNN article also has a fun "where are they now" feature on the stars of the show. Check it out here.

No comments: