Monday, August 26, 2013

What Time Is It?

I have a slight pet peeve about time zones. Please, people, know the difference between standard time and daylight time. Whenever I see "CST" (for Central Standard Time) in the summer, when it should be CDT, for Central Daylight Time, I just want to scream, and it happens more than you might think. Why am I ranting about this today? Here's why:

One of my cousins is participating in the Mrs. America pageant, which is being held in Tucson, Arizona. The preliminary competition is tonight and Tara, aka Mrs. Oregon, put a note on Facebook saying that it will be livestreamed online at 5.00. Tucson is in the Mountain time zone, which is one hour behind Central time, so 5.00 in Tucson is 6.00 in Chicago. Except, when I googled it to make sure, I learned that Tucson doesn't observe Daylight Savings time, which means that here in Chicago, on Central Daylight time, we'd be 2 hours ahead, not one. In other words, Tucson stays on *Mountain Standard Time.*

Then I checked the Mrs. America website, and it says the competition starts at 5.00 p.m. PST.  Huh? Pacific time? Pacific *Standard* time? I assume whoever programmed the website just got confused, or was being too clever by half. Pacific Daylight time would be the same as Mountain Standard time, right? PST is the same as nothing. Get it together, everyone. Please!

No comments: