Tuesday, August 13, 2013

North By North West

I confess:  I am just a bit curious about Kim Kardashian's baby. There, I said it. Overall, I'm proud to point out that this blog has been mostly Kardashian-free, because, you know, I'm such a deep intellectual thinker and serious observer of pop culture. The Kardashians? I'm so above all that, my dear.

Anyway, when exactly will we get to see a picture of North West? Kim K and Kanye West's daughter was born June 15 and eight weeks later both mother and baby are still in hiding. With the stipulation that everything I know about this situation comes from reading the tabloids, both dead tree and digital, some or all of the following may or may not be true:
  • Kim doesn't want to be seen in public until she has lost her baby weight and gotten her pre-pregnancy figure back. 
  • The K's, specifically Kim and her mother, who want to sell the first pictures for as much money as possible, were overruled by Kanye, who is insisting on keeping the baby private. 
  • Kimye may do as Tomkat did and present the baby in a "prestige" publication like Vanity Fair. 
  • Or, they may do as Beyoncé and Jay-Z did and post pictures on their own website, for no financial remuneration. 
Kris Jenner teased viewers of her new talk show with a picture that turned out not to be North, and Kim followed suit by tweeting a picture of herself with sister Kourtney's baby from a couple of years ago. Why? Just messing with their fans, I guess.

We'll see the baby pictures eventually and I admit I feel some sympathy for the little girl. Growing up as the daughter of Kim Kardashian won't be easy, not to mention the fact that Kimye as a couple doesn't strike me as a model of maturity and stability. When Kim married Kris Humphries a couple of years ago I gave the marriage two years. It famously imploded after 72 days. I'm going out on the same limb again and you heard it here first (or not): by August, 2015 Kimye will be no more. People magazine and the other tabs will keep us informed.

No comments: