Monday, August 26, 2013

Contrived, Sensationalist, Repetitive, Witless

There was a time when this blog was Kardashian-free. A moment of respectful silence, please, for the good old days, because those days are so over. After blogging about the baby and the Kim/Katie imbroglio I found myself reluctantly intrigued and wanting to know more about the whole Kardashian phenomenon. I did some googling, learned some interesting things, then on Sunday I actually did that which I thought I'd never do - I watched their show, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, or as it's known on Twitter, KUWTK.

So check out this great article from September, 2012 that I found on the website of The Guardian, a British newspaper. It's an interview with Kim K and there's lots of good stuff, including the history of the TV show (Mom Kris Jenner made a pilot episode shortly after Kim's sex tape came out, in order to "take advantage of the moment," ick;) why Kim posed for Playboy (Kris again, talking her into it, double ick;) and the fact that teenage fans pay $10 for K-branded bottles of water (really stupid ick.) When the article was written Kim and Kanye had been dating for a few months but she wasn't pregnant yet, and the writer asks if Kim would get married on television again:

She thinks about it for a moment. "Well, I guess you never say never. Because who knows? So many other people I know have gotten married on TV and it has worked out amazing for them." There is a pause. "William and Kate got married on TV," Kardashian says thoughtfully. 

See, Kim and Kanye are just like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Kim also has an answer for the question Katie Couric and everyone else keeps asking:

"When I hear people say [what are you famous for?], I want to say, what are you talking about?" she says slowly, her eyes wide as a bushbaby's. "I have a hit TV show. We've shot more episodes than I Love Lucy! We've been on the air longer than The Andy Griffith Show! I mean, these are iconic shows, so it blows my mind when people say that."
But you're not performing; you're just being followed around by cameras…
"But to be able to open up your life like that and to be so… if everyone could do it, everyone would. It doesn't make sense to me."

My first response to this was incredulous eye-rolling, but she does have a point. The Palins certainly haven't been able to do it. In fact, I'd bet that Sarah Palin lies awake nights trying to figure out how to make her family as rich and famous as the Kardashians.

I may have more to say about "KUWTK", or not. This morning there's actual news in Kardashian-land as TMZ and other sites are reporting that sister Khloé's husband Lamar Odom has a serious drug problem and is currently "missing." Reality may be getting a little too real for the reality TV stars.

No comments: