Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Chip and Joanna Gaines, Again

Issue dated July 9, 2018: Chip and Joanna Gaines
This week's PEOPLE cover

I admit that I don't get the Chip and Joanna thing, but after Meghan Markle and the British royals, the Gaineses are among People's favorite cover topics. Their first cover was in October, 2016, shown below, and there were three more covers (July 3, 2017, October 23, 2017, and just eight weeks ago on May 14) between that one and this one. They were also the subject of two sidebar stories, this past January, when they announced that baby number five was on the way and again in March with a headline claiming that they are "ready for baby boy." I had Chip and Joanna on this week's Guessing Game list, but I didn't think their new baby would be the main story. (Heather Locklear and her current troubles was my best guess.) As I always say, the Gaines covers must sell really well. None of the other stories were on the Guessing Game list.

Issue dated October 24, 2016, the first Gaines cover. At the time I had literally never heard of them.


Last year at this time it was Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, part of a People pattern of running Kennedy/Bessette stories in July or August, tied to the couple's July, 1999 death in the plane crash. Will there be another cover story this year, 19 years after the event? Stay tuned.

Issue dated July 10, 2017

No comments: