Tuesday, May 9, 2017

It's Almost Time

Confession: Part of me wants to break up with The Bachelor and depart Bachelor Nation once and for all. The show has gotten sillier and sillier as time goes on, and as I've said before, nobody really goes on the show to find love anymore. They do it to get famous, which for some, like former Bachelorettes Ali and Jillian, can mean hosting gigs on television, for others, like Kaitlyn, JoJo, Amanda S, Ashley I, Robby Hayes, Chase McNary, Jade and Tanner, etc., it's just about gaining enough Instagram followers to make money hawking products. On many levels, I'm over it.



On the other hand, I just can't quit The Bachelor, at least not yet. Part of the reason is that I'm genuinely interested in Rachel's season. It's not just the color of her skin that sets her apart from the usual Bachelor or Bachelorette. She's a smart, savvy lawyer from an elite family, with charisma to spare and I'm curious to see where her "journey" takes her. Will she get engaged at the end of her season? Almost certainly. Will she eventually marry that man? Almost certainly not. Will she spend the next few years promoting Sugar Bear Hair, @fabfitfun boxes and Smile Sciences teeth whitener on Instagram? Almost certainly not. She may not go directly back to practicing law but I'm willing to bet she'll do something more productive than most of the former Bachelorettes. I admit, I like her and I'm rooting for her to have a successful season.

The other reason I'll be watching is that an escape-from-reality reality show is just the thing to take my mind off the actual reality currently going on in the world. As I like to say, settling in to watch The Bachelor is a guilty pleasure in the midst of a Chicago winter; now in this summer of our country's political discontent, The Bachelorette is going to take my mind off things I don't want to think about. At least I hope so. In the meantime, a few more updates from Bachelor Nation:

Rachel's men. Her season premiers on Monday, May 22, 13 days from today, and ABC should be releasing info about her suitors any day now. I admit, I'm curious. What's the ratio, black men to white men? How old are they, and what do they do for a living? To put it another way, were producers able to cast men equal to Rachel's age and professional status, or will we have the usual personal trainers and aspiring country singers?

A post shared by ThePG (@thepolishedgents) on


Nick. He was booted from Dancing With The Stars last week, no surprise, and he and Vanessa are claiming they have "zero plans to do any more reality TV." Maybe. He's also launching his online business, selling men's grooming products in a monthly subscription service called The Polished Gent. (The image above is from the PG Instagram feed, which currently has 1,706 followers. He's promoting it on his personal feed too, which has 1.3 million followers.) Will it be successful? Are there really hoards of men out there who "do not have the time to buy the proper grooming products they need in a timely manner"? And will those men be willing to pay $79-$139 a month to get a box with facial cleaner and hair serum? Maybe. I still expect Nick and Vanessa to break up sooner rather than later, but if not, let's see how long it takes before they pop up on Marriage Boot Camp. (In the meantime, you can check out the Polished Gent website here.)

I was going to add a snarky comment about a typo I noticed on the PG website first thing this morning, but I just checked again and it's been fixed. Good job, Nick!

Chris Soules. His legal troubles continue. According to The Daily News, he's been charged with "a hit and run resulting in death," which is a class D felony, with an arraignment scheduled for May 23. (Read it here.) A sad and tragic story all around.

Finally, spoilers or no spoilers? I had intended to stay spoiler-free for Nick's season, but a few days before the premiere I saw comments on Ashley I's Instagram page stating that Nick was engaged to Vanessa. I assumed the commenters had gotten their information from Reality Steve, and I was right. I caved and got caught up on everything RS said was going to happen. This time, I'm planning to blog about Rachel's season and I'm going to try to do it totally without spoilers. I'm not going to read Reality Steve's posts, I'm not going to check any of the gazillion Bachelor Nation Instagram feeds and I'm going to unfollow anyone on Twitter that I think might spill the beans. Will it work? Possibly, and stay tuned. The excitement starts in 13 days.

No comments: