Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Road To Rio

Wow, that was fast. It feels like the Opening Ceremony was just yesterday and now London 2012 is over. I didn't get to watch as much of the sports as I'd like, but it was a fun two weeks, with lots of thrills and chills, new songs, some silliness, some stupidity, Will and Kate, Prince Harry, Rafalca, etc., etc. The usual Olympic stuff. A nice long cheer goes to London, for putting on a really great event, and a special tip of the hat for all the medals they won. Great job!  The U.S. topped the medal count, which was probably predictable given how many athletes we had competing, but what I like the most is the fact that the U.S. women kicked butt. I think I read that the girls won more medals than the boys, which I really hope is true! And I'm still hoping Ryan Lochte will get to be the Bachelor.

The Olympics are never really over, of course, and planning is now underway for the next three Games. Do you know where they'll be? The IOC's official site has a countdown clock for each host city, which is how I know that the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia are 540 days away; followed by the Rio Summer Games in 1451 days; and even the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea in 2004 days. Three cities, Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid are bidding for the 2020 Summer Games, which will be awarded on September 7, 2013. So on it goes. 

No comments: