Tuesday, May 5, 2009

More Thoughts About Being Famous

Do you know who "Speidi" is? I do, kind of, and I admit it's a weird feeling. It would feel so much more grown-up to be able to say that I've never heard of them. For the record, Speidi is the two-names-joined-into-one moniker of Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag, who are reality stars from some show or other, and they just got married. I'm proud to report that I've never watched the show that made them famous (no false modesty here - I really haven't watched it.) Most of what I know about them is what I read on the cover of tabloid magazines as I'm doing my grocery shopping.

The reason they're on my radar screen today is that Spencer gave an interview about the joys of being famous, the high point of which is when he states that they "pray every day to stay famous." Isn't that just precious? I've come to believe that when two famous people are being referred to by one name, like TomKat or Brangelina, it's a pretty good indication that they're over-exposed, but at least in both of those examples, one or both members of the partnership is an actual star. Spencer and Heidi - not so much, and as I've blogged about before, fame in America is a very fickle lover. I'll be keeping an eye on Speidi, for there's no doubt at all that one of these days this poppiest of pop culture phenomenons will fall from the pinnacle and being famous won't be so much fun anymore. I know I can count on US Weekly and Life & Style (both of which have Speidi's latest wedding on their cover this week) to keep me informed.

Check out the interview here.

No comments: