Wednesday, May 27, 2009

How Things Change

It's always interesting to me to think about how things change. I've been working on my Rosetta Stone french language lessons, and it occurred to me that I'm learning words for everyday things that didn't even exist when I first learned French in high school. These days I'm learning the French words for computer, cell phone, internet, e-mail and ATMs, none of which were part of our lives 30 years ago. Another thing that has changed is French money. Back in the day it was francs; now, of course, it's Euros.

Thinking about all of this reminds me of my trip to France last April, when I sat in the guest bedroom in the basement of my friend's house in Paris, using my cell phone (mon portable) to send a text message to a friend back in Chicago. It's not just about learning new words - it's about how we use the things those words represent, that's what has really changed.

No comments: