Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reading Between The Lines

When I saw the headline on Huffington Post, "A Recipe For Longevity: 33 of The Healthiest Foods on Earth", I clicked on it right away. I'm always interested in good nutrition, at least theoretically, and who knows, I might discover something new and delicious. As it turns out, the list consisted pretty much of the usual suspects - pineapple, red peppers, spinach, strawberries, mushrooms, carrots, etc., all of which were ordinary fruits and vegetables. Well, okay. Nothing radical here, just another five-servings-a-day article trying to convince me that vegetables are better for me than pasta and ice cream. No harm, no foul.

Then I noticed the small print at the bottom, giving the biographical information about the article's author. David H. Murdock, who wrote it, is the CEO and owner of the Dole Food Company, described as the world's largest producer and marketer of fresh fruits and vegetables, packaged and frozen foods.

So. Is this article a factual and objective list of credible nutrition information that will benefit my life? Or is it advertising for the Dole company? I think it's advertising masquerading as objective information. What do you think?

No comments: