Friday, April 24, 2009

A Great Day

There are (almost) no words to express how great it felt to be outside in the sunshine today. I've been blogging and tweeting about this for a few weeks now and today is the day I've been talking about - the first 80 degree day this year. According to the TV news, it hasn't been this warm since last October 12. Oh, the bliss ... I always say that people who live in California just can't appreciate Spring the way we do here in Chicagoland.

I've scouted the tomato and herb plants at the local nursery, and bought the replant kit for my earthbox planters. As soon as they're ready to go I'll go back and get the actual plants. As happens every year, I'm wishing I had more room to plant. My balcony just doesn't get enough sun. This year I'm trying some planter boxes that hang on the balcony railing - that's where I'm putting the herbs and hopefully that will do the trick. Last year the herbs didn't do very well because the planters they were in were too low to get sun above the railing. I definitely need a nice patch of my own sunny dirt!

My tomatoes always do very well in the earthbox planters - they're a self-contained system that takes a few minutes to set up each season, but once it's done all I have to do is add water every few days. Check out the earthbox website here. Stay tuned for more of Kimberly's adventures in agriculture!

No comments: