Friday, May 29, 2015

Duggars Again, Double Ick

Issue dated June 8, 2015
19 Kids and Counting: Cancellation Not a Concern of Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar

I've gotten a little behind on posting People covers, so let's catch up. This week it's the Duggars, no surprise, but in spite of the dramatic headline ("THE DUGGARS' DARK SECRETS") there's probably not much original or new information. The article accompanying this picture at people.com refers to the "exclusive" statement from the Duggars that was published on May 21 when the scandal first broke, then quotes a "source close to the family." As far as I can tell, other than the family's original official statements and a blog post from the father-in-law of one of the married daughters, everyone in Duggarland has gone completely silent. They'll probably surface eventually to tell their side of the story, and right now I can only imagine the hysteria of bookers from Good Morning, America, Today, Dr. Phil, maybe even Oprah, trying to get the get and serve up the first interview.

No sign of Bristol Palin. There's been some chatter online that if the wedding had gone off as planned we may have seen a big cover story but sorry, Bristol (and Sarah,) without an actual wedding, you're old news.

This is last week's issue, dated June 1, 2015,
Tess Holliday: Plus-Size Model Goes from Bullying Victim to Breakout Star

The Bachelorette story was just a short interview with Kaitlyn; the most interesting part for me was when she was asked if she's "happy." She replied that she's always happy but things didn't turn out exactly as she expected. I'm paraphrasing, and I admit I'm surprised. Is this some kind of foreshadowing that she's not engaged to one of the fine gentlemen we see courting her every Monday night? In seasons past I would have gone straight to Reality Steve for the scoop but so far I've restrained and stuck to my "no spoilers" strategy, so at this point I truly have no idea how the show ends. I'm watching the old-fashioned way!

No comments: