Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Election Day

It's election day and somewhat to my own surprise, I've become something of a political junkie, although I'm less interested in mid-terms and more interested in looking ahead to the 2016 presidential race. There is some suspense here in Illinois because as of this morning, our candidates for governor were tied in a race deemed to be too close to call.

Still, I'd rather look ahead. Just as the start of the holiday shopping season creeps ever earlier, so does the start of the next presidential race. Will Hill run? Will Jeb? Chris Christie? Ted Cruz? Sarah Palin? Just kidding about Palin (#palinbrawl!) Regardless of how many time she teases her supporters (and squeezes them for money) about a possible run, she's a television personality now, not a politician.

As I anticipate elections yet to come I've also been feeling some nostalgia for elections past. In 2012, I was in Portland, Maine on election day, working with a client. I flew home that evening and was getting ready for bed when the election was called for Obama. In 2010 I volunteered on a congressional campaign and spent the day making "get out the vote" calls. 2008 was the coolest for me - I was visiting friends who were living in Dubai. They had just moved into their apartment and didn't have their cable TV hooked up yet. With the time change, it was Wednesday morning when we fired up my friend's laptop and learned that Obama had made history as the first African American president-elect. (I voted for him so it was a good morning for me. My hosts voted for the other guy [and his ridiculous running mate] and were not happy.)

So on to 2016. Something tells me it's going to be a doozy!

No comments: