Wednesday, October 8, 2014

People's 40th Anniversary

Taylor Swift: This Is a 'Freeing Time' in My Life

People goes with an anniversary cover, this time with Taylor Swift in a shout-out back to that first cover in March, 1974. For a brief moment yesterday as I was writing the guessing game post, I wondered if they'd actually go with Mia Farrow again, but given that she's now 69, I figured probably not. Missing White Girl Heather Graham finally shows up in a sidebar story, along with Blake and Ryan, and Teresa Giudice. Here's the original cover from 40 years ago:

Mia's Back and Gatsby's Got Her

To me, the most interesting thing about that original cover is the sidebar story about Marina Oswald. At that point the assassination was only 11 years in the past and I'm curious to see what Mrs. Oswald has to say. If I can find the story online I'll link to it.

Update: I found the Marina Oswald story in People's archives, and it's fascinating. You can read the whole story here; the most interesting part is her answer to the reporter's question, Do you believe your husband killed the president?:

A moment of tantalizing suspense hung in the air, finally drifted away. Marina nodded. "I believe Lee was definitely involved," she began in words carefully measured. "Of course, I didn't see him shoot anybody. I didn't see him pull any trigger. But I do not believe there was a conspiracy, as others have claimed. Maybe it is possible that there were two or three crazy people who all had plans to kill John Kennedy that day." She stopped. Was that her full answer? 

"Like any wife," she went on, "I would like for my husband to be innocent. I loved him, after all. People said I married him just to get to America. I would have followed him to the moon, or to China. But I have had time now to reflect. He was not innocent. Lee definitely killed Officer Tippit, that's for sure. And they found his prints on the rifle in the Book Depository building." Marina seems almost convinced that her first husband killed John Kennedy, but retains a slender margin of doubt—as indeed does history. "There are too many puzzle pieces that don't fit," she said, bringing her hands together as if to meet, but they missed and continued on in empty air. 


That was in 1974. Later the conspiracy theorists got to her and I've read that she now believes Lee was innocent. 

No comments: