Saturday, June 6, 2009

Still Thinking About Madame Sarkozy

After writing my earlier post, I was still thinking about the life and career path of Carla Bruni Sarkozy when this thought came to me: What do you suppose the reaction here in the U.S. would be if a candidate for President was married to a former supermodel, a woman who had been famous for having an affair with a rock star?

It's fun to contemplate, isn't it? The U.S. isn't France and something tells me that for us it would be a very big deal and probably not in a good way for the candidate. I can only imagine the media feeding-frenzy-on-steroids that would follow such a revelation.

So here's another question. Does it matter? Does having a wife with a racy tabloid past automatically mean that an American man couldn't be an effective president? With our current "sex and scandal over substance" media-driven political process it almost certainly means that such a man couldn't get elected president of the U.S., but winning an election and actually leading the country are two very different processes. I don't know if Nicolas Sarkozy is a good leader or not, but I admit I kind of like the fact that he's married to a woman with an interesting past and the French people think that's okay. Wonder if it could ever happen here ...

No comments: