Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bikini Rant Follow-Up

When I wrote my "Bikini Rant" post on June 1 I hadn't seen this fascinating bit of "inside baseball'' about how People magazine chooses their cover subjects each week, but I sure enjoyed reading it today, even as it depressed the hell out of me. True story: back when I had a subscription I used to try and guess who/what would be on the cover each week, based on what big pop culture stories and events had taken place at the time. I don't play that game anymore, but if I did, there's not a snowball's chance that I would have picked Melissa Joan Hart last week. Seriously - does anyone really care that she lost 42 pounds? Jon Gosselin's on the cover this week, which was fairly predictable. Any guesses for next week? Speidi? Susan Boyle? Brangelina? It could be Farrah, but only if she dies. (That's not me being morbid and disrespectful. I'm quoting People's editor.) As I said in my previous post - what this says about our culture depresses me beyond words.

No comments: