Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nailed It!

I really don't play my old "Guess Who's On The Cover Of People Magazine This Week" game any more, but if I did, this week I was right. In my Bikini Rant Follow Up post on Sunday I listed Brangelina as one of three possibilities for the issue that comes out this Friday, and bingo! There they are. I know this because of the weekly What's In The Fabloids feature on The Daily Beast. Every Wednesday afternoon they provide a preview of People's upcoming cover, plus the covers of US, OK, the National Enquirer and a couple of others, and yes, every week I check it out. That's how I found out about Speidi.

I admit that I'm simultaneously intrigued and repulsed by the whole spectacle of tabloid celebrity coverage. There's so much more going on in the world than whether Brad and Angelina are together or not, much less what Speidi are up to, and a lot of it is actually important, but you'd sure never know that from the stories in all these magazines. Unfortunately, the important stuff is also frequently the boring stuff, and that doesn't sell magazines. It's probably not just the celebrity tabloids that won't be doing cover stories about the health care plan that was just introduced in the Senate. That's something that will affect my life way more than the latest celebrity gossip, and it's going to be a whole lot harder to find out what it's about than it is to keep tabs on Brangelina. For what it's worth, I'm going to try.

No comments: