Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Hoda And Savannah

Issue dated January 15, 2018: Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie


People's new cover is out a day early with Hoda and Savannah front and center. I didn't see this one coming because the announcement from NBC just came this morning, but two of the sidebar stories, Luann de Lesseps and (yuk) Half Their Size, were on the Guessing Game list. I fervently wish People would stop focusing on the size of people's bodies, famous or otherwise. I'd also like to see a follow-up story, for example, the women featured on the cover five years ago, shown below. How are they doing today? Have they kept the weight off? (Almost certainly not.) Note that I'm not slamming or fat-shaming the women. My point is that a triple-digit weight loss like this is extraordinarily difficult to sustain, and big picture, I wish we could just stop talking about the size of women's bodies. 

Issue dated January 14, 2013
HALF THEIR SIZE! SPECIAL DOUBLE ISSUE

Last year at this time: Issue dated January 16, 2017


This cover features another story that didn't age well, "Countess Luann's Lavish Wedding." Not only is the marriage already over, the "Countess" was arrested ("Housewife in Handcuffs" wow, what a headline) and has checked herself into rehab. Once again, let me point out that I'm not snarking on the woman, or in this case, not much. (Not a fan of the whole Real Housewives phenomenon.) My point is that so many of these highly hyped stories, whether they're about losing weight (and "how they keep it off") or love that will last forever, are a lot less substantive than they seem.

No comments: