Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Most Beautiful: Julia Roberts

Thursday night update: As I explained below, I was curious about how many "Most Beautiful" covers Julia Roberts actually has. In the week leading up to the big reveal yesterday, People.com posted a slideshow with all the past Most Beautiful covers, except for 2010. I was curious about that, so I sent a Twitter message to a People writer:


I didn't really expect the reporter to respond, but she did:

That gave me enough information to go to Google Images and type in "People magazine 2010 Sandra Bullock adopts" and Voila! The missing 2010 cover, with Sandra Bullock as the main story, and Julia Roberts in what I call a "topline tease," naming her the Most Beautiful. Social Media to the rescue, mystery solved. Here's the cover:

Image result for People magazine, 2010 Sandra Bullock adopts'

Original post:
Issue dated May 1, 2017: Julia Roberts


It's Julia Roberts again, for either the fourth or fifth time. In my Guessing Game post I said she had been the cover choice three previous times, based on the 1991, 2000 and 2005 covers (shown below.) Then, in the teaser article now posted at people.com, they're calling the new cover her fifth:

It’s been 26 years since Julia Roberts was first on the cover of PEOPLE’s World’s Most Beautiful issue, and she’s still our favorite pretty woman. 

The stunning star is, for a record fifth time, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World – though she can hardly believe it. “I am very flattered,” she tells PEOPLE’s editor-in-chief Jess Cagle in this week’s cover story.

Apparently they're including the 2014 cover, where Lupita Nyong'o is the big picture, with Julia (and Jennifer Lawrence and Juliana Margolies) in smaller pictures on the side.

Whatever. My response to all this: Yuck. Rating and ranking women based on their looks is ridiculous and offensive, and claiming that a 49-year-old woman is staying "Forever Young" is just plain stupid. I'd love to see People get away from the whole "Most Beautiful" thing, and for that matter, "Sexiest Man" and "Half Their Size" can go too.

In July, 2013, in a post titled "Dumbed Down and Sexed Up," I compared People's cover stories from 1975 and 2011. Here's what I found, and it's still depressingly true:

People magazine was never the New Yorker, as I used to say, but they used to at least try for some substance some of the time. To put it another way, the stories were mostly about the celebrities' work, not who they're married to or getting divorced from, not how they look in a bikini, and not when their baby is due. These days it's mostly weddings, babies, divorces, crime stories and people who are famous for being on (Reality) television. (Read the entire post here, and note that the online archive isn't online any more.) 

1991


2000


2005


2014



No comments: