Monday, February 2, 2015

Not Blogging The Bach?

Am I still blogging about The Bachelor? Yes, at least theoretically, but after last week's episode I just wasn't inspired to take to the blog and start typing. A new ep airs tonight and hopefully something will happen that gets my blogger juices flowing. In the meantime, some random thoughts at this point in the season:

"Prince Farming" is boring. He's not annoying the way Juan Pab was, but he's sure not very articulate or interesting. Think of his response to Britt when she called him out about Kaitlyn. Britt may have been out of line but his response was almost gibberish. In his defense, his hands are tied because if he answered honestly he'd say something like "I have to make it look like I like everyone. If I only kissed the women I'm really attracted to, there'd be no show." And as everyone who watches this show has said, Hasn't Britt ever watched? This is how the show always goes.

And what about Britt? I admit, I like her. Word in the blogosphere is that she's an aspiring actress from Los Angeles who has absolutely zero interest in moving to Iowa and not much real interest in Chris. What she wants is to be the next Bachelorette and if you watch with that idea in mind, it does appear that she's auditioning. She's always "on," always completely made-up and always reacting to things in a camera-ready way. She was also very good friends with Jillian:

these weren't even all the examples.

Note that I'm not being snide or insinuating anything. If you look closely, almost all of the women are affectionate with each other when they're just hanging around, which they spend a huge amount of time doing. I'm all for strong friendships between women and I'll always vote for more support and friendship between the women and less scratching each others' eyes out to get to the man. I also liked that Jillian was strong and fit.

Note also that I lifted this great picture from Sharleen Joynt's delightful blog All The Pretty Pandas. Sharleen's the opera singer from Juan Pab's season and she writes the best episode recaps I've seen. You can read her here.

Jade got the fun date this week and Chris seems smitten. What he apparently doesn't know yet is that Jade has been a Playboy model and there are some very non-Disney pictures of her floating around on the web. Presumably ABC knew this before they cast her and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I'm not convinced that her selection for the Cinderella date was really made by Chris's sisters. (At this point in the life of the show, almost nothing "just happens." Whether it's interrupting a conversation to 'steal' the Bachelor, secretly crashing a wedding, or sneaking into the Bachelor's tent, everything is orchestrated by the producers for maximum trauma, drama and tears.) Knowing that, I'd be willing to bet they sent her on the Princess date as a set-up for the drama to follow when her almost-X-rated past comes to light.

Based on the previews it looks like Kelsey's the star of the show tonight, for better or worse, and I admit I felt some sympathy for her during the camping date. I'm sure that camping out overnight in tents is not what she, or any of the women, expected when they signed on to this show. In fact, I keep expecting to see a scene at the end of a rose ceremony when the women start stamping their feet and demanding to know when they'll be hitting the road for the tropics, or Australia or South Africa. Tonight they're in New Mexico and I think next week  is South Dakota. Definitely not the exotic travelogues we've seen in previous seasons.

That's all for now, Bach fans, tonight's new episode is just a few hours away.

No comments: