Thursday, September 4, 2014

Still Famous?

Kim Kardashian: My Wedding Will Be 'Whatever Kanye Wants'

Last October I posted this picture in a post titled "This Is Why She's Famous." I pointed out that it isn't Kim's intellect that's got Kanye enthralled. Looking at the picture again, I'm struck by the contrasts. In some ways Kim appears to be going for an "innocence" vibe, with a pure white lace dress, knees locked together and hands folded demurely in her lap. Her head is tilted down and her expression is slightly less provocative than usual. Then there's the cleavage. Kim's breasts are so minimally contained and burstingly overripe it looks like they're about to pop out of the dress altogether; Kanye looks like he's about to start slobbering.

I was reminded of this when I saw the newest pictures of Mrs. West, taken in London as she received British GQ's Woman of the Year award Tuesday night.



No innocence here. The girls are still front and center, this time propped up by black leather; the rest of the "dress" is see-through, putting Kim's best assets out there for all the world to see. In spite of the slight dominatrix vibe I'd be willing to bet this look is Kanye's vision, not Kim's. I assume the Woman of the Year award is tied to the fact that Kim posed for naked pictures featured in the October issue of British GQ, about which Mother-from-Hell Kris Jenner proudly tweeted out a message:  'Congratulations @kimkardashian on receiving @GQ's Woman of the Year Award and on your @BritishGQ cover!! So proud of you! #TomMunro photography #stunning.'

As I was pondering the cultural significance of all this, I was struck by a thought I never thought I'd have: I feel sorry for Kim. It can't be easy to be caught between Kris and Kanye, both of whom are determined to capitalize on and profit from Kim's public persona and "talent," whatever you perceive that to be. Yes, Kim is strutting, half-clothed and very famous, all the way to the bank, but still. I wonder if, deep inside, in her soul, she's tired of it all. Does she even know who she is anymore? Does she ever wonder if she has any value when she's not parading around half-naked? Does she ever just want to scream, "Leave me alone!"?

We may never know. At some point the whole Kardashian drama will get old, ratings for their TV show will drop and another "reality" family will come along and catch America's attention. Kim turns 34 in October, the years will go by, she'll be 40, 45, 50, etc. At some point her famous body won't be so attractive and the spotlight will move on. What will she do then?

No comments: