Monday, April 7, 2014

Hypocrisy Alert: The Kissing Congressman

Sometimes I wonder what it feels like to be a so-called public servant when irrefutable evidence of your misdeeds is about to go public. First-term Representative Vance McAllister, Republican from Louisiana, who I've never heard of before today, must have had such a moment earlier today. Grainy surveillance video (from his office, no less; didn't he know the camera was there?) of him passionately kissing a woman who isn't his wife is currently in the process of going viral and the usual Political Sex Scandal media feeding frenzy is in the process of playing out. (I'm not going to post the video but believe me, by morning it will be everywhere.)

The naughty politician, a married father of five who campaigned as a conservative, church-going, family values Christian, has issued a statement apologizing to God, his wife, his family, his constituents, blah, blah, blah, and asking for privacy for his children. Someone is being quoted as saying that the Congressman has "no plans to resign." The "other woman" has been named and I can only imagine the media scrum currently camped out on her driveway. And, of course, I've already typed his name into the draft of tomorrow's Guessing Game post.

In a post a few weeks ago, about the Congressman who threatened to throw a reporter over a balcony after the State of The Union, I said that it was the video that got him in trouble. That's true again now, obviously, and I'll be watching to see how this one plays out. Stay tuned...

No comments: