Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Continuity

Royal Baby Joy! All About the Prince of Cambridge

Well, here he is, and here's how People is covering it. Other than the baby's name, everything that needed to happen has happened and I'm certainly planning to move on to other things in my head, at least for a while. Even for someone who's as "into" the royals as I am, the fooforah over this baby seems just a bit excessive, and I found myself wondering, as the 10,000 photographers who camped out at the hospital got their "money shot" yesterday, was it really worth it? Sitting there for three weeks? Since every photog on the planet had the exact same picture, no one's going to get rich on it and there were times when the whole thing seemed just plain silly.

On the other hand... Continuity. The British monarchy has been around for over 1,000 years and if this baby lives as long as his great grandmother the Queen, he'll be sitting on the throne in the year 2100, which is a really daunting thought. He may not have any real impact on my life, or on the lives of most of the other people who were breathlessly waiting for the first picture of him, but he's not a Kardashian. He's part of something real.

So, welcome baby Cambridge, but for now it's on to other things. Who knows what else will catch my attention and get my blogger juices flowing. Whatever - talk to you soon!

No comments: