Tuesday, March 17, 2009

T.V. Or Not T.V.?

I just did something that feels pretty radical - I called and "down gauged" my cable TV as a cost-cutting measure. I went down to Basic Cable, which will give me about 25 channels. I'll have the local networks, PBS, TCM, the Food Channel and a few others. I won't have CNN, MSNBC, History, Disney, Spike, E!, A&E, Weather and many others. I'm thinking of this as an experiment. Most of the stuff I watch on the channels I won't have anymore is available on-line, at cnn.com, weather.com, etc. I actually like the idea of watching less television, at least in theory, so I'll see how it goes. I can always re-enlist, so to speak, if I really miss the extra channels, but I hope that doesn't happen. It make take a while to get used to, but my guess is that in the long run, watching less television will end up being a good thing for me, and not just financially. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: