Sunday, March 1, 2009

Memories of The Jumeirah Sceirah

Yesterday while channel surfing, I came across a program on the Travel Channel called Extreme Waterparks. I only saw the last 15 minutes but I loved it because it brought back such great memories of my visit to the Wild Wadi waterpark in Dubai. In particular, I'm proud to say that I survived a terrifyingly fast slide down the "Jumeirah Sceirah," a 33-metres high waterslide that is described as the tallest and fastest speed slide outside of North America.

According to the program, the Summit Plummet at Disney World in Florida is the world's tallest water slide at 120 feet high. The Jumeriah Sceirah, at 33 metres/108 feet, has to be a close second. I had never been to any kind of waterpark before so I had no idea what to expect as my friends and I were climbing up, up, up the stairs to get to the launching platform for the slide. Just waiting at the top of the stairs is pretty cool because you have a bird's eye view of all of Dubai, including the downtown skyline and the iconic Burj Dubai. Then you're at the front of the line and there's no place to go except down.

And down the slide you go. It's just you and the water, sliding very fast down a slick aerodynamic tube. It's over almost before you know it, but those few seconds between the platform at the top of the slide and the splashdown pool at the bottom, were among the most exhilarating of my life. The Travel Channel program only covered waterparks in the U.S. and Canada, so they didn't show the Jumeirah Sceirah, but it didn't matter. Just thinking about waterslides brought back memories of one of the best trips of my life.

No comments: