Monday, February 16, 2009

Learning New Words

I admit it, I'm a word geek. As a writer, I already know a lot of words, but there are still lots of good words to learn. When I'm reading something and there's a word I don't know, I'll usually write it down so I can look it up and learn what it means. (I know - geeky. Deal with it.)

So here's my latest new word: Opprobrium.

And here's what it means: Infamy, a disgrace resulting from shameful action, reproach mingled with contempt. (Guess which current event/media story I was reading about when I came across this word. Hint: see yesterday's post below.)

Your assignment is to use your new word in a sentence at least twice today and report back to me. I'll start: "Octomom didn't realize her story would result in such opprobrium from people who don't even know her."

Isn't learning new words fun!

No comments: