Friday, February 20, 2009

Hunkering Down

It's still winter here in Chicago. We're currently under a Winter Storm Warning, with 4-8 inches of snow expected by Saturday afternoon. Right now it's 27 degrees with bright sunshine, and looking out the window you'd never know what's coming. Truthfully, I usually take these warnings of coming weather disasters with a grain of salt, although a "warning" is usually more substantive than an "advisory." In particular, the local TV stations like to go into hysterical "armageddon is imminent" mode at the slightest hint of a change in the weather. There have been many, many nights when I've gone to bed expecting to wake up to the blizzard of the century, then woken up to only the lightest dusting of snow.

Every now and then, however, we do get socked in by buckets of snow, so I can't ignore the weather reports completely, and I'm ready for tomorrow, just in case. I went to the library this morning and got several great books, then I stopped by the grocery store to stock up on provisions. Let the snow fall - I'm ready. I can keep myself occupied and well fed without leaving the house for days, if I have to.

While I was on weather.com I couldn't resist checking out the current weather for Santiago and Dubai. Both my niece Laura (in Chile) and my friend Lorraine and her family (in Dubai) are enjoying much nicer weather than I am right now. It's summer in Santiago and the current temperature is a balmy 84 degrees. It's winter in Dubai, (and as I'm writing this it's also the middle of the night,) but even at that, the temperature is 66 degrees, with 83% humidity. Sounds good to me!

1 comment:

dennis said...

Hi Kimberly--I had to comment on this one. Only yesterday, as my friend and I left Portillo's (another coincidence?), we discussed weather forecasting. My pal's dad is an attorney who in years past had contact with Chicago weatherman Jim Gibbons. He said Gibbons told him they always DOUBLE the amount of predicted snowfall, since it was way better to predict EIGHT inches of snow and come out with FOUR, than to underestimate and have the whole world saying you got it wrong! That, from the "professionals".