Saturday, August 29, 2020

Who Can Say?


Only Time, by Irish singer Enya, is one of my absolute favorite songs:




... and this:

Kraft Original Flavor Macaroni & Cheese Dinner, 7.25 oz


... is one of my favorite foods. (Really.) I doctor it up with a good chunk of Extra Sharp Cheddar and sometimes a little olive oil and garlic, so my version is not "straight out of the box," but still, it's a fave. Even so, when I saw this favorite song paired with a favorite food for the purpose of selling a product, it didn't quite work:





Over the years, Only Time has been licensed to sell all kinds of products (and by-the-way, this is a short clip of a commercial trying to convince parents to serve their kids Mac and Cheese for breakfast.) The first time I heard it was in a promo for an upcoming Friends episode about the romance of Rachel and Ross. Clearly, Enya is not a member of the "I'm too pure to let my music be used for crass commercial purposes" club and good for her, but Macaroni and Cheese? Even though I love the song and I love the product, for me, this marriage of (commercial) convenience just didn't fit. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on all counts lol!