Sunday, June 28, 2020

Would Donald Quit? - Updated

President Donald Trump walks on the South Lawn after arriving on Marine One at the White House, Thursday, June 25, 2020, in Washington. Trump is returning from Wisconsin. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
photo credit: AP Photo/Alex Brandon





It's hard for me to imagine that Donald would walk away, but I decided to post this just in case. As I've said here before, he sure doesn't look like he's having much fun as president. Maybe he will declare victory and leave the field. Stay tuned.  

Update. The Lincoln Project weighs in: 



Update #2 on Tuesday afternoon. Apparently Joe Scarborough thinks Donald might drop out. The question was asked during Eugene Robinson's Live Chat today: 


Hi Eugene! I watched Morning Joe this morning and Joe thinks that maybe President Trump will drop out in August. Politically, what would that mean for the race? I want Mike Pence to suffer political consequences for following Trump lock step--but would VP Biden have a harder time with VP Pence? Do you think Trump would go after Mike Pence because he couldn't stand to see his VP win? I know it's speculation, but would love to know what you think!

A: Eugene Robinson

I don't think Trump is going to drop out. If he did, and Pence ended up being the GOP nominee, I think Pence would lose -- I don't see him taking votes from Biden and I don't see him firing up the Trump base. I think the Republican Party would get massacred and basically have to start from scratch.

I'll see if I can find a clip of Joe Scarborough's remarks.

I haven't found video of Joe this morning, but I did see another tweet and this one uses the term "resign" rather than "drop out:"



Days until the election: 126

Update #3. I found the Joe S. video, which is from Friday morning:






Update #5 on Sunday, July 5. Donny Deutsch and Joe are still talking about the possibility that Donald would walk away. This is from Friday, July 3:

Donny Deutsch: "I want to go back something you teed up last week, that I've been thinking about all week, I would not be shocked if at some point he drops the mic. This thing is away from him, it's not turning around. and this is a guy that I can not see standing up and owning the biggest landslide defeat in U.S. history. ... I don't see this guy going the distance."

Joe S: "I've been talking to people who are actually close to him who have speculated for some time that rather than lose a huge election, a huge landslide loss, that he would walk away. Sort of do what LBJ did. ... He does not want to get beaten, with Biden getting 350, close to 400 electoral votes. You look at the polls, I don't know if people close to him are lying to him, but he's behind in Georgia, Texas is tied, even, I read that even some GOP pollsters are talking about the problems, he's struggling in Kansas. This is shaping up to be a historic landslide so I don't understand why he would hang on, especially because the coronavirus just keeps getting worse."

I wonder if somewhere, very quietly and very discreetly, officials from the RNC are developing a plan for what they would do if Donald drops out of the race.

Update #6 on Monday, July 6. An interesting thought from Jonathan Bernstein:


No comments: