Sunday, February 2, 2020

It's In Missouri

Donald's congratulatory tweet to the Kansas City Chiefs was well written and typo free. (So much so that I figure it was written and sent out by a staffer, probably Dan Scavino, the White House Director of Social Media.) Unfortunately, there was one tiny problem, pointed out by former Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill (and many, many others,) on Twitter:













Yes, there is a Kansas City, Kansas, but Kansas City, Missouri is bigger. 
More specifically, Arrowhead Stadium, where the Chiefs play, is in 
Missouri. (The two separate cities, plus surrounding cities and suburbs,
are collectively referred to as the Kansas City Metropolitan area.) 
Wouldn't it be nice if someone on Donald's staff was smart enough to 
know that?  

Twitter's having a lot of fun with this; Tom Nichols weighs in with a
more serious thought:

 



Anyway, Donald deleted the original and has now issued a new tweet, 
but as we always say around here, screenshots live forever. 

And one more thing. Confession: Prior to today, I couldn't have told you 
whether the Chiefs play in Kansas or Missouri. I promise, however, if I'm 
ever elected president, I'll make sure I have a staff smart enough to keep
me from making stupid (and preventable) mistakes like this. 

Update on Monday morning. I could probably spend most of the day
cutting and pasting snarky tweets about how stupid Donald is. (And 
his staff too, obviously.) For now, Bethany Albertson gets the prize:




Am I being too hard on the White House staff? Nope. The White House 
Twitter account proudly retweeted Donald: 






No comments: