Thursday, February 14, 2019

This Day In History, 2009: Starting The Blog

It was Saturday, February 14, 2009 and I decided I'd do a little writing. Blogs were still pretty new at the time and I had no idea what would happen. My first post was titled "Starting My Blog..." and this is what I wrote:

Okay, here goes. I've been thinking about blogging for quite a while, and today I'm actually going to start doing it. As I begin, I've been pondering what kind of blog I want to create - should I be completely anonymous, with deeply personal musings that I wouldn't want anyone who actually knows me to read? Or should I write it with a specific audience in mind, more like a personal conversation? I've decided to stick with writing for an audience that knows me. If I ever want to go into private stream-of-consciousness mode and write things I wouldn't want my grandmother to read, I'll start another blog (and never tell any of you about it.)

For a while this blog will definitely be a "work in progress," as I learn all the tools and tricks of blogging, but hang in there with me. This is going to be fun!


The Blogger dashboard tells me I've published 1691 posts in the last 10 years, which averages out to 169.1 posts per year but I haven't actually been that consistent. Last year was my most prolific, with 400 posts; in 2011 I only managed one, on the last day of the year. (Read it here.) 

Over the next few weeks I'm planning to look back and see what I was thinking and blogging about in the beginning. I've had so much fun with my blog over the last 10 years. Will I still be blogging in 2029? There's no way to know but I wouldn't bet against it. Stay tuned. In the meantime, click here to read my first 19 posts from February, 2009. 

No comments: