Monday, December 29, 2014

Blogging The Bach (SPOILERS)

PEOPLE's Half Their Size 2014 Winners Revealed

Jan. 4 Update: WITH SPOILERS. If you read this post you will see spoilers. Got that? OK, here goes. 

In my regular blogging I'm not planning to write about any of the spoilers floating around, but I do have one thought I want to share before the season starts. I've read Reality Steve's blog and he says the final four women are (here come the SPOILERS) Jade, who is eliminated after hometown dates; Kaitlyn, who is sent home after the Fantasy Suite dates; Becca, who is rejected at the final rose ceremony; and Whitney, who is now engaged to Chris.

Steve's track record is pretty good, but he's been wrong about the ending three times that I can remember. (Ali's season, Brad's second season, and Des's season.) I always wonder how, exactly, he's getting his information, and in particular during Des's season, when he was adamant that Des was engaged to Brooks, when in fact she was engaged to Chris, I wondered if someone from the production company had deliberately arranged for Steve to be given incorrect information. I'm wondering if he's possibly wrong again this time and Chris is really engaged to Becca. 

The reason is that for all the articles I've read in the run-up to the show, (Chris Harrison to People magazine to Kristen Baldwin to Slate magazine and more,) not one mentions Becca. It's like she doesn't exist on the show, except for the fact that RS says she's the runner up. I can't help wonder if it's some kind of elaborate con by the producers, putting Whitney/Kaitlyn/Jade and other women out front and keeping Becca "hidden."


For what it's worth, RS insists he's right:

Now I’m going to say what I say every season in this spot. You can choose to believe this information or not. I know some of you out there are dying for me to be wrong, and pray for it every season. This is not a guess. This is not who I think Chris picked. I’m not predicting who he’s gonna pick based on tea leaves, tarot cards, or how they look together. This information has been told to me by sources. ... If you want to continue to harp on the fact I was wrong about Des’ season, that’s fine. But I nailed every detail of Juan Pablo and Andi’s seasons after that giving you both endings and the whole season within a week after filming ended. This ending I’m giving you two days after it happened, which is the quickest I’ve ever posted the ending. For the next 3 1/2 months I’m sure you will hear a bunch of rumor and innuendo about how this is wrong, or Becca was seen here, or Kaitlyn was seen there, or how I’ve been given wrong information on purpose blah blah blah. Once again, I’m never truly vindicated until the finale airs in March, but just know Chris is engaged to Whitney. Can’t be any more clear than that.

I wanted to get my thoughts on the record, just in case it turns out I'm right. Beyond that, it's time to settle in and watch the fun!  See you Monday night!  

Original post:
I'm a little late posting this new cover, which tells you how little I care about the annual "Half Their Size" story. Whether it's celebrities or regular people, whether they've gained weight or lost it, can we please just stop talking about how much anyone weighs? Plus, there's almost certainly nothing revolutionary to be learned about "what they ate to lose the weight." How much do you want to bet that it involved fruits, vegetables and lower calorie counts in general, plus some exercise? No news there.

Still, the issue must sell well because they do it every year, and as you can see on last year's cover, shown below, they're not even trying to come up with new headline language: Easy Low-Cal Recipes. How They Did It. Half Their Size! No Surgery! No Gimmicks! It's exactly the same.

We Lost Half Our Size!

I'm much more interested in Prince Farming, the new edition of The Bachelor that kicks-off one week from today. After the disaster that was Juan Pablo last time around, (remember "Juanuary?") ABC is really pushing the appeal of new Bachelor Chris Soules, describing him as "hot, rich and humble." There's even going to be a Bachelor float in the Rose Bowl parade on New Year's Day.

Blog readers know I have a love/hate relationship with The Bachelor. It's such a silly show on so many levels, but I have to confess, I do, indeed, watch it. I've also blogged about it, off and on, since starting the blog in February, 2009. My 7th post, back on Feb. 16, 2009, was about the show and how I had started to watch again after a few years away. (Read it here.)

Part of the fun of watching these days is following all the Twitter comments in real time. I'm planning to live-tweet this season, and possibly live-blog as well, so stay tuned for more, much, much more, about The Bachelor.

No comments: