Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Who's On The Cover This Week?

I don't know yet.

It's been a hot, hazy, sticky "dog days of summer" week here in Chicagoland and I admit that I hadn't given too much thought to this week's People cover. (An Emmys recap is one possibility.) I got up this morning and realized that it was Wednesday morning and I hadn't done a Guessing Game post. Oh well, I figured I'd just check people.com at 7.00, which is when they usually post the new cover, then do my usual Wednesday morning post.

Apparently the magazine's off their normal schedule too, because the new cover wasn't there. I checked a few more times and as of about 8.15, still no picture of the new cover.

So this isn't a Guessing Game post and it isn't a People Cover post. Right now, it's nothing. Presumably the new cover will show up eventually and when it does I'll add it to this post. Stay tuned...

Mid-morning update:

Manson Family Murders 45 Years Later
An interesting choice. The picture of Sharon Tate is mesmerizing and MURDERED BY MANSON, bright red and in all caps, is provocative, but this news is 45 years old. Apparently People secured an interview with victim Sharon Tate's sister Debra, who's now 61, but does she really disclose "Chilling New Details"? Still, Tate is a Dead Gorgeous Blonde Woman, one of People's favorite cover topics.

Media Literacy note: The cover implies that People actually interviewed the sister (and I used the word "apparently") but it's possible that the magazine is simply quoting things Debra said to other media outlets. It's also possible that this cover story is tied to a new book about the murders, although the headline language doesn't refer to one.

One more thing: After posting the cover and my comments above I googled "Sharon Tate Murder" and sure enough, Debra Tate has written a book. It's titled Sharon Tate: Recollection and you can buy it at Amazon.com.

No comments: