Monday, July 30, 2012

Hanging Out In The Eastern Time Zone

It's day 3 of the Olympics and I'm watching the men's synchronized diving, which is very cool. I won't be watching for very long, tonight, however, because I'm in a hotel room in Indianapolis and we're in the Eastern Time Zone, or the Central Time Zone but they don't observe Daylight Savings Time, or, you know, whatever. NBC's prime time coverage didn't even start until 8:00 here and if I want to see it all I have to stay up until midnight, and that's not going to happen. I already know today's results, of course, just from surfing around to my usual news and politics sites and blogs. It's almost impossible to get to the daily prime time show without already knowing the results. I don't really want to go back to the flickering black and white television images from the 1968 games in Mexico City, but on the other hand social media and 21st century technology have certainly changed the experience of "watching" the Olympics.  I'll stay up as long as I can, then it will be lights out.  Whatever I miss tonight I can find on-line tomorrow.  A lot has changed since 1968.

No comments: