Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ironies abound

I admit, I'm mesmerized as I watch all the various media-obsessed feeding frenzies that are playing out this summer. The Ensign scandal caught my attention, only to be eclipsed by Mark Sanford's adventures in Argentina, who then caught a lucky break in the "media spotlight du jour" sweepstakes when Michael Jackson died, followed by Sarah Palin's strange resignation. There's a lot that can be said about all of this, both serious and silly, and I'll probably be blogging about it some more as the summer goes on. (Or not. I may just keep tweeting about my tomatoes.)

Anyway, things have circled around and l'affaire Ensign is back in the news, and here's my pithy observation of the moment: One of the odd, head-scratcher elements of the Sarah Palin babygate story is the fact that even though she was a high-risk 44-year-old woman carrying a special needs baby, she wasn't being treated by an OB-GYN. The baby was apparently delivered by Palin's regular family practice physician. On the other hand, Senator Tom Coburn, who in addition to being a senator is also a doctor, is claiming that the "doctor-patient privilege" protects him from revealing what advice he gave to Senator Ensign about how to fix his marital problems. Coburn's speciality? Obstetrics.

Seriously. I can't make this stuff up.

No comments: