Thursday, September 22, 2016

This Day In History, 1999: The West Wing Debuts

Image result for the west wing season 1
photo credit: denofgeek.com

My favorite show of all time, The West Wing, debuted 17 years ago on September 22, 1999. TV Guide declared the show a "Fall Preview Favorite:"

The ultimate workplace series, expertly melding comedy and drama in an intoxicating and sophisticated rush of sharp writing and canny acting. The show deservedly has taken heat for not casting minorities among the president's staff and Sports Night fans will recognize Sorkin's tendency toward speechifying, but this is solid, slick, irresistible entertainment. Even those with C-SPAN phobia might get hooked. 

Confession: I wasn't watching. For some reason the show just didn't interest me during its first season. In the summer of 2000, however, promos for the season 2 opener showed the aftermath of an assassination attempt and that caught my attention. The first episode of season 2, "In The Shadow Of Two Gunman," a two-hour special shown on October 4 2000, was the first episode I watched and from that night I was hooked.

I watched religiously when the show was on, right up to the finale (episode 154,) titled "Tomorrow," which aired on May 14, 2006. I bought seasons 1 and 2 on DVD as soon as they came out, and then one day at Costco I splurged and bought the 45-disc Complete Series. Every year in September, when the new shows debut, I hope there will be something that engages my mind and heart the way The West Wing did. I DVR'ed Designated Survivor, which premiered last night, and I'm planning to watch Timeless, which starts in a couple of weeks. Will be be talking about either of those shows in 17 years? Probably not but a girl can hope.

And speaking of talking about The West Wing, I'm not the only "Wingnut" out there. Actor Joshua Malina, who replaced Rob Lowe in season 3, and his friend Hrishikesh Hirway have started a podcast called The West Wing Weekly, in which they're discussing their way through all seven seasons. Needless to say, I'm a fan. Check it out here.

Image result for The West wing
phote credit: theodysseyonline,com

No comments: