Thursday, September 20, 2012

Another Bad Week For Mittens

I said in an earlier post that I'm always intrigued when a conservative, or a Republican, criticizes one of their own. Now in the wake of Mitt Romney's "47%" statements, both Mark McKinnon, who was a political strategist/communications guru for President Bush's re-election campaign in 2004 and also an advisor to John McCain during the 2008 primaries, and Reagan speechwriter Peggy Noonan, are reluctantly falling out of love with Mittens. Says Mr. McKinnon, referring to Michelle Obama's comment in her convention speech that "a presidency reveals who you are," "Mark me down as one Republican who is not happy with what is being revealed about Mitt Romney." And Ms. Noonan: "This is not how big leaders talk, it's how shallow campaign operatives talk... It's time to admit that the Romney campaign is an incompetent one. It's not big. It's not brave. It's not thoughtfully talking about great issues." To use one of my favorite blog words, Yowza.

Friday morning update:  Peggy Noonan clarifies her thoughts. Double yowza.

"This week I called [the Romney campaign] incompetent, but only because I was being polite. I really meant "rolling calamity." A lot of people weighed in, in I suppose expected ways: "Glad you said this," "Mad you said this." But, some surprises. No one that I know of defended the campaign or argued "you're missing some of its quiet excellence," - Peggy Noonan.

No comments: