Tuesday, November 16, 2010

No More Waitey Katie! William Pops The Question

I've turned out to be an on-again, off-again blogger and it's been a few months since my last post, so what did it take to get me back to blogging? Prince William's engagement, of course! For better or worse, the love life and romantic choices of a British king-to-be are once again big news, and yes, I admit, I'm watching.

Although there's certainly a "deja vu" element to all this, harking back to 1981 when the world was first introduced to Lady Diana Spencer, I'm struck as well by how much things have changed. William and Kate's courtship has lasted longer than the substantive reality of Charles and Diana's marriage, and apparently Kate is the oldest woman ever to marry an heir to the British throne. To put it another way, Kate is just short of her 29th birthday; at the same age, Diana had been married for almost nine years, was the mother of two boys and was no longer sleeping with or even speaking civilly to her Prince Charming. At that point both she and Charles had been having full-blown affairs with others for several years. When it comes to dating and choosing his bride, the royals have clearly worked hard to learn from past mistakes, and William has been allowed to do things differently. The hope, of course, is that the outcome will be different too.

So congratulations to William and Kate. Based on the BBC's saturation coverage of this story today, you would think the fate of the world hinges on this marriage. I definitely wouldn't go that far, but it is intriguing, and I'll be keeping an interested eye on all of it. More blogging to come, I promise!

No comments: