Friday, January 8, 2010

Keith and Cindy

To everyone who loves Keith and Cindy, this is the text of an e-mail message I sent to Sue Basten when she asked me how Cindy sounded when I spoke with her Thursday afternoon:

Cindy sounded pretty matter-of-fact, considering the circumstances. I think both she and Keith are at peace about the decision they made (regarding not pursuing any further treatment) and they want to experience the next few days with as much love, gentleness and grace as possible, surrounded by their family. I'm sure her emotions are very deep and very painful, but she's working very hard to hold herself together.

She did express some humor, such as Keith dealing with the reality of what happens when you're hospitalized (assistance from a nurse with personal stuff such as bathing, for example). She said she and Keith kind of laughed about that, which I thought was positive. (What else can you do but laugh, so to speak.) I also forgot to mention before that her Mom is coming in Saturday, which will be good.

Overall I was encouraged by my conversation with Cindy, in the sense that she sounded like she's accepted a difficult and unchangeable truth and is walking through it with God's help. For me, I'm particularly grateful that Andrea and her family got here safely, because I was very concerned about that.

I will update this blog whenever there is something to share. Kimberly

No comments: