Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Blogging The Bach: Drunk Girls Gone

One more thing: No guessing game post this week. Other than a Golden Globes recap, or possibly a feature about Amal Clooney, I have no idea what might be on the People cover this week.

Original post:
Welcome rosebuds, it's week 2. Truthfully I was distracted during the show last night, switching back and forth between The Bachelor and the college football championship game, so the Bach didn't have my full attention. The DVR was running, however, and I finally had a chance to sit down this evening and watch the whole show. It's actually tempting to do it that way every time because it allows me to fast-forward through all the commercials. Thoughts:

Whitney's voice really is annoying. She apparently has a sense of humor about it, sending out a tweet that said The best thing about tweeting is that you can't hear my voice.

Chris is doing a lot of kissing with many women, and for some reason ABC feels the need to add smacking sounds whenever lips meet. Please stop.

Remember hunky Zak Waddell from Desirée's season? Carly's his sister.

As Chris was doing all that kissing I found myself wondering what it's like to have to kiss someone you don't want to kiss. He doesn't absolutely have to, of course, but so far it appears that anyone that wants a kiss gets a kiss. It's all part of the job of being The Bachelor but I'll bet at some point it gets tiresome.

I know this really isn't about finding Chris a husband and the women are cast mostly for their entertainment value, but even so, I was struck by the age and lifestyle gap between Chris and Mackenzie. He's 33, she's 21 and a single mother. During their one-on-one time she almost seemed like his daughter. I found myself wondering why she was cast. Actually it's hard to imagine any of the women with kids will go very far on this show.

Last week it was drunk Tara, this week we had drunk Jordan; neither got roses. As I mentioned last week, I do wonder what goes through their heads when the show actually airs. Are they mentally prepared for how unflattering and unattractive their time onscreen is going to be? Have they warned their families? Kimberly, the girl who got a second chance after the first rose ceremony also went home this week.

For the last several seasons, the Bach or Bach'ette has "written" a blog at people.com. The posts were usually pretty bland and generic and I've always assumed they were ghostwritten by some staffer from the show. Whoever's writing for Chris this time around is pretty good, or maybe he is actually writing it himself, either way I enjoyed reading it more than I expected to.

Finally, next week we get Jimmy Kimmel. Who knows what that will lead to. Stay tuned for week 3.

No comments: